Apply for solar finance

You’ll be surprised how fast we can have solar humming on your rooftop and saving you cash.

Call us on 03 9658 8740 or fill in your details below and we’ll be in touch  to help get solar on your rooftop, fast.

Apply now

How we’re smart, simple and fast

SMFSmart. SMF’s Solar Finance is built specifically for commercial buildings. Investing in solar with more traditional finance is complex. We offer a quick, simple process that enables repayments through council rates.  It delivers the commercial value of solar to tenants and landlords alike.

Simple. Our finance matches your project. Our finance product has fixed, quarterly repayments and terms up to 10 years. We can tailor the length of the loan to ensure that repayments will not exceed savings from solar resulting in immediate cash benefits to your business.

Fast. We manage the application process end to end with your preferred solar installer. We’ll conduct the finance application process and manage the council requirements avoiding double handling and delayed start dates. You deal with our Client Manager who will step you through the process and address any of your questions.

Click here to download a brochure.



Who is eligible for SMF’s Solar Finance?

You’re eligible to apply for our Solar Finance if you occupy or own a commercial building in the municipality of the City of Melbourne. To be considered you should:

  • Be current on all rates notices
  • Ensure the value of the building is greater than existing loans
  • Have been in business for a minimum of 2 years, and;
  • Have a good credit history

What size solar systems can I install?

SMF Solar Finance applies to projects installing between 10 and 100 kilowatt (kW) solar systems. These are larger than the average residential solar system (usually between 1.5 and 5kWs).

About the loan

How do I repay the solar finance?

We can arrange for quarterly repayments of your solar finance through your rates, and manage the loan so that repayments don’t exceed the savings you get on your power bills.

I’m a tenant, how do I pay council rates?

Council rates are a statutory charge upon the building. Under most net leases, such charges can be recovered through the outgoings clauses of the lease.  Where the tenant agrees, these new council charges can be passed through using these existing clauses.

What happens if my tenant fails to pay?

If you’re tenant fails to pay rent and therefore the Solar Finance loan, the building owner will liable to pay the quarterly repayments. We conduct finance checks on both the tenant and building owners before approving finance making this situation very unlikely.

Can I exit early from Solar Finance?

You are able to repay your loan sooner and leave early if it suits your needs. Please call if you’re considering this and we can discuss the process

Moving or selling

What happens to the loan should I sell the building?

Selling a green building can result in large capital gains. As the loan is tied to the building should you sell, the Solar Finance will be passed onto the new owner.

What happens to the loan should a tenant move out?

There is no need to align the Solar Finance loan to the term of the lease. If your tenant decides not to extend the lease the replacement tenant can pick up the payments.

Agreement between tenants and building owners

I’m a tenant, how do I engage with the building owner to agree to Solar Finance?

We can help make arrangements with your building owner, so they agree to solar being installed, but you, the tenant, take up our Solar Finance to cover the cost.

I’m a building owner, how do I engage with the tenant to agree to Solar Finance?

We can help you discuss the benefits of solar with you tenant, and potentially negotiate part of the Solar Finance so your tenant contribute out of the savings on their electricity bills. We can also help you arrange other energy efficiency measures, such as lighting upgrades, to make this even more attractive for your tenant, and improve the overall capital value of your building.